Today (Friday 9 Feb) is #NationalPizzaDay. And every restaurant worth their dough is getting involved, as consumers look to grab a slice of the action…
Pizzerias up and down the country are offering a 30% discount – with nationwide chains Trada, Gusto and Prezzo all confirmed.
While closer to William Murray HQ (where we earn our crust) Bunga Bunga has announced the launch of a pizza-flavoured cocktail (top culinary innovation or base and cheesy stunt – you decide).
The event has been organised by Foodism – London’s (extra) largest food and drink magazine.
Editor Jon Hawkins was quoted as saying: “National Pizza Day will be the biggest celebration of pizza in the country, and Foodism wants everyone to be involved – from those who make pizza to the rest of us who just love eating it.”
So if you’re still tossing up what to have for lunch or dinner today – don’t think too far outside the box…
- Five billion pizzas are sold worldwide every year
- Pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in the UK and US. While squid is the most popular topping in Japan.
- 62% of all pizzas consumed have meat.
- 49% of people in the UK eat pizza at least once a week and Oxford is the city which consumes the most pizza.
- The first Domino’s Pizza opened in 1967, the first Pizza Hut in 1958, and the first Papa John’s in 1984.